15th December 2012 – The Barrakka Lift was inaugurated by the Hon. Prime Minister Lawrence Gonzi.
This lift replaces the one that was inaugurated in 1905 and continued to operate until 1970 when it was shut down, and was then finally dismantled in 1983.
In July 2011, works started on the reconstruction of the two new lifts structures intended to provide access from the area of the old Customs House to the Upper Barrakka Gardens. The structures reach a total height of nearly 58 meters and accommodate two panoramic passenger cars having a capacity of 800 passengers per hour.
The Joint Venture entrusted with the construction of the lifts consisted of Polidano Group, Mekanika Limited and J’s Dimech Combined Industries Limited.
These were further complemented by a team of consultants – namely Alfred Grech & Associates as Project Managers; iAS Limited as Project Architects; Camilleri and Cuschieri as Engineering Consultants; and Resolve Consulting Limited as Project Supervisors for the Design and Construction Stages (PSDS/PSCS) with respect to health and safety matters as stipulated in Legal Notice 281 or 2004, Work Place (Minimum Health and Safety Requirements for Work at Construction Sites) Regulations, 2004.